With Spring in full swing and Summer approaching, in the northern hemisphere, you might be doing more activities outdoors. You do not want to leave your kitty behind. You might be tempted to take your kitty outside with you, on a leash - or just on a flower filled boat :)
Your kitty loves to socialize, explore, and stay active. You might be thinking about walking your cat outside in the sun, or perhaps have a little fun even in winter, in beautiful, pristine snow, and see your kitty's beautiful paw prints next to yours.
Generally, You will need a leash to walk your cat. Experts are divided about whether you should walk your cat or not. Here are some reasons:
Pros of Walking Your Cat:
- Walking your cat will be a great idea if you are planning to travel with your cat. Walking your cat outdoor on a leash will acclimatize your kitty to the outdoor, provided you follow safety rules and stay within your kitty’s comfort zone for outdoor walking on a leash.
- Kitties can explore, becoming mentally stimulated, and socialize, if you follow safety rules, and if your kitty enjoys it.
- Cats generally like to socialize.
- You can share more activities with your cat and spend more time with your cat, if you follow safety rules, and if your kitty enjoys it.
- You can bond more with your kitty, if you follow safety rules, and if your kitty enjoys it.
- It will provide excellent exercise for your kitty cat, if you follow safety rules, and if your kitty enjoys it.
Cons of Walking Your Cat on a Leash:
- While kittens might be more open to exploring the outdoors, but older cats, who have not been exposed to the outdoors, might not want to go outside.
- In such cases, it will be cruel to make your cat go outside against his/her wishes
- If your cat is stressed, then its instinct is to flee and be free. Walking your stressed cat on a leash will restrict your cat and make him/her more stressed. It will be cruel.
- Perhaps allowing your cat to roam freely in the garden, or another safe place outside might be a better idea for a stressed kitty.
- Kitties like to explore on their own, even if they are outdoor cats or indoor-outdoor cats, they would not like to be on a leash. Hence it will be cruel to force them on a leash.
- Your cat encounter off-leash dogs, snakes, vultures, and other such animals, and might not be safe.
- Your cat’s harness may slip.
- Your cat might not like wearing a harness.
- Your cat might become scared of the noise, people, and traffic.
- Your kitty might get a sunburn when it is too hot or can get cold in winter.
Our Experts' Verdict:
If you want to walk outside with your cat on a leash, then:
- Make sure your cat is comfortable with the walk on a leash
- Choose safe places for walk
- Select pleasant places to walk
- Follow safety rules
- Use a good cat harness
- Prepare yourself and your kitty for outdoor walks
Our Story: We are a USA based, BBB Accredited, family owned and operated small business and stand for the reliability of US businesses. We genuinely care for our customers, patrons, and cat lovers and strive to provide the best possible products and services. KittySensations has been in business since 2017, started by a family that loves cats and pets of all sorts. Our first pets included the unlikely pair of a gold fish and a lop rabbit!. They got along really well with each other. It was a treat watching the lop bunny hop around the goldfish bowl, following the fishy movements with dangling golden ears. With more than 100,000 satisfied customers we have built a strong reputation of quality and reliability. We hand select our products to ensure that our customers get the best possible value and quality in cat jewelry. We are the one and the largest business in the USA specializing in cat jewelry. For everything cat jewelry related, you can rely on the name of KittySensations. KittySensations stands for quality, taste, and style.
Tell us what you think, in the comments section below, pawwy pawwy :)